Compiling ports with debug symbols

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Apr 6 04:24:33 PDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 07:16:55AM -0400, Adam wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 03:22, Kirill Ponomarew wrote:
> > I think you should try:
> >
> > make CFLAGS='-g' STRIP=' ' install clean
> >
> > Kirill
> >

> (/usr/ports/net/licq) - (root at ttyp9.jake) - (07:10:05)
> -# make CFLAGS='-g' STRIP=' ' install clean
>
> >From there it went on to compile just fine, but -g was NOT added to the
> compiler flags.
>
> To verify that no debug symbols were added, I ran licq from within gdb:

This doesn't necessarily lead to the above conclusion.  Examining the
build output will usually show the compiler flags used (except some
ports use a build script that calls cc internally and doesn't display
the command line).  Many ports do not respect the STRIP variable (most
of them?), and there is no general way to avoid stripping binaries on
installation.

What I usually do is build the binary (e.g. "make all") and then
install it manually by copying it into place by hand.

Kris