*WARNING* Mozilla v1.3,2 installation causes total system lockup
blueeskimo at gmx.net
Fri Apr 4 04:47:35 PST 2003
*PLEASE READ THIS MESSAGE BEFORE UPDATING MOZILLA *
Last night I removed Mozilla 1.2.x and Mozilla 1.3b, in favour of the
new Mozilla 1.3,2. I knew the compile would take a while, so I started
it right before I went to sleep.
This morning I came back and my computer was completely frozen. The
Mozilla installation had apparently almost finished, but somehow gone
into an infinite loop and somehow took every available drop of system
resources until ALL other applications crashed. I could not access the
box locally (even by pushing CTRL+ALT+F2 to bring up another local
session). I tried SSH'ing in from my other computer, but OpenSSHd had
crashed as well. So, the only thing I could do was just hard restart the
computer, which I cringe just at the thought of.
I checked my /var/log/messages just now, and my theory about what
happened last night has somewhat been confirmed:
Apr 4 03:57:31 jake /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
Apr 4 03:57:31 jake /kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed
Apr 4 03:57:31 jake /kernel: pid 445 (XFree86), uid 0, was killed: out
of swap space
Apr 4 03:57:51 jake /kernel: pid 450 (fluxbox), uid 1001: exited on
signal 10 (core dumped)
Apr 4 03:58:57 jake /kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed
Apr 4 03:58:58 jake last message repeated 135 times
Apr 4 03:58:58 jake /kernel: pid 331 (squid), uid 85, was killed: out
of swap space
Apr 4 03:58:58 jake squid: Squid Parent: child process 331 exited
due to signal 9
Apr 4 03:59:11 jake /kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed
Apr 4 03:59:11 jake last message repeated 71 times
Apr 4 03:59:11 jake /kernel: pid 501 (oafd), uid 1001, was killed: out
of swap space
... the list goes on and on for every running process.
The last thing that was on the screen was something like the following:
1) Linking the Java module
2) Failure to load Java module
3) Registering Mozilla package
4) Security warning that Mozilla installed modules that might act as a
network server, etc.
The display was still showing that security warning when I got here this
morning, and apparently had been in that spot for 3+ hours.
It *is* technically possible that this happened due to another process,
but I find that theory highly unlikely. I was not running anything out
of the ordinary. Everything that was running on my computer has been the
same set of applications that I've been using for at least a year.
This computer has NO history of any hardware failures. In fact, the
hardware in this machine was meticulously assembled about a year ago
specifically for usage in FreeBSD.
The only reasonable theory is that the Mozilla installer somehow went
into an infinite loop, something similar to a fork bomb.
Here's a list of some of my actions yesterday leading up to upgrading my
- Uninstalled plugger
- Uninstalled acroread
- Uninstalled gv
- Uninstalled Netscape
- Uninstalled galeon
- Uninstalled mozilla-headers
- Uninstalled mozilla
- Uninstalled mozilla-devel
- Installed mozilla v1.3,2 from ports
I hope this email keeps other people from experiencing the same problem,
and helps to get it resolved as quickly as possible.
This computer is running on an Athlon 1.5GHz with 512mb DDR RAM and
1024mb swap space. I am currently running FreeBSD v4.7.
Adam <blueeskimo at gmx.net>
More information about the freebsd-ports