enquiries for ports collections to be available on every distro

Jim Mock mij at soupnazi.org
Thu Apr 3 00:53:49 PST 2003

[ Please keep the mailing list Cc'd. ]

On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 at 00:40:06 -0800, pesoy misak wrote:
> Jim Mock <mij at soupnazi.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 at 00:19:01 -0800, pesoy misak wrote:
> > > Dear All FreeBSDer (Maintainer)
> > >
> > > Many thanks if one of you could give me any response to my request
> > > on the ports collections.
> > >
> > > I am a great fans of linux and unix especially FreeBSD and Debian.
> > > well not mentionned about openBSD and netBSD coz hasn't got the OS
> > > yet. but I am really abit disappointed with ports collections
> > > which according to me a very vital applications that i very very
> > > need badly.  well of course not all of them. I would be grateful
> > > if someone could make all the ports and shipped with the FreeBSD
> > > OS and downloadable like for example in Debian that have ant,
> > > jserv, tomcat in side their package management that can be
> > > installed in the fly that could be found in the CD distro. I would
> > > really like that FreeBSD could do something like that. coz i am
> > > not always go to internet and can't download that heavy program. i
> > > would prefer pay more for the FreeBSD CD rather than waiting for
> > > the downloading time
> >
> > The ports tree and packages are already on the CD set.
>
> Sorry for sending you email like this but this is really make me
> anxious like i have 4.7 FreeBSD with packages but i don't have like
> sun java, blackdown like stated in the ports. i can't go to internet
> to compile that why i need these ports to be available in my cd so any
> comments about this many thanks

There are some ports that can't be shipped due to licensing
restrictions.  This includes the JDK.  From
/usr/ports/java/jdk13/Makefile:

RESTRICTED=     "Redistribution of pre-compiled binaries isn't permitted"

For those ports, you'll have to fetch them yourself since we aren't
allowed to distribute them.  A complete list of such ports can be found
in /usr/ports/LEGAL.

- jim

--
- jim mock.     email: mij at soupnazi.org     web: http://soupnazi.org -