ipcad 2.8.1 bug: doesn't run with uid 0 which is needed for rsh

Lev Walkin vlm at netli.com
Wed Apr 2 22:28:05 PST 2003

Andreas Klemm wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 03:40:34PM -0800, Lev Walkin wrote:
>
>>Actually, it is enough just to run it as root and not uncomment
>>the uid and gid settings. In this case, ipcad just wouldn't drop
>>its privileges!
>>

>>>See my patch, which fixes it.
>>
>>Patch applied, but considered useless. I am always running ipcad
>>as root on all of my systems without any patches.
>

> useless ?????
>
> I read your manuals how to configure it.
>
> Your example config file (an perhaps manual as well,
> dont remember exactly) tell me that uid 0 has to be
> configured, so that rsh runs.

=== quote ===
Set this uid to be safe in the long run. Please change it if you're
aware  of the consequences. RSH service will NOT work if process is
not privileged.
=== quote ===

There are no words about configuring uid 0.

Moreover, the sample configuration has uid and gid lines COMMENTED OUT.

> When doing so ipcad refuses to start !
>
> It costed me over an hour of troubleshooting fixing and
> documenting for you and finding the best way to fix the port
> when I next trapped over the bison problem.
>
> And you tell me, the patch is useless ? *sigh*

I've already said that I've applied the patch.
Thank you for the effort, anyway.
My point was that there is nothing that couldn't be done
without the patch.

--
Lev Walkin
vlm at netli.com