Packages from the quarterly repository

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 12 07:37:28 UTC 2020

On 12/02/2020 00:29, Mikhail Holt wrote:
>  I assume https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/quarterly will have
> been rebuilt from https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/branches/2020Q2/.

Correct.

>  If so, when installing the new package:
>  - Will I get any warning prompt about it?

No, there's no warning that the quarterly package set was built from a
new branch since your previous update.  You will see that there are a
lot more package updates at that time, and the change of quarterly
branches is always done promptly each 3 months so it's easily predictable.

>  - Can I cancel the install without any changes being made?

Yes.  `pkg upgrade` will stop and ask you if you want to proceed unless
you pre-answer that question with either the '-y' or '-n' options.

Verb. sap. you will have a much better experience with pkg(8) if you
don't try and pick nd choose what to update.  Just upgrade to all the
latest available packages.  Mostly this "just works" but there obviously
can be occasional problems; the best way to mitigate that risk is to use
features like Boot Environments or ZFS snapshotting so you can roll your
filesystem back to a previous state until the package problems can be fixed.

	Cheers,

	Matthew