FreeBSD Port: ports-mgmt/pkg

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 29 09:35:02 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 12:15:45PM +0300, Vladimir Chervinsky wrote:
> Dear,
>
> I think, the pkg register run not properly. It test installed package and
> return error if it set. I send path corrected this for pkg 1.10.4.

It is expected, known and used to be like that before pkg. the fact pkg accepted
the reinstall without the deinstall first was a bug in pkg. ports(7) explains
that behaviour.

If someone wants to change that behaviour why not, but it is pretty unsafe to
reinstall without cleanly deinstalling the previous version of a port. (in
particular for upgrades)

one things which could be done is a make upgrade which would run make deinstall
reinstall

Best regards,
Bapt