teach pkg about rpm's?

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 7 06:36:16 UTC 2016

On Sun, Apr 03, 2016 at 06:17:16AM -0700, Chuck Tuffli wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has adding the ability to install RPM's via pkg been discussed before?
> Does it make sense to add this or is it better to leave this
> functionality to something like archivers/rpm4? If so, I have some
> time and the motivation to implement this and would appreciate any
> guidance / pointers that people would be willing to share.

It has been discussed, there was even some summer of code about it.

It is a feature we would like to see in (but specially crafter) as it would
allow to remove most of the linux ports from the ports tree and we could tell
the users to simply add a special linux.conf repoconfiguration pointing to a yum
repository to handle the /compat

Unfortunatetly those summer of code did not reach the point to be integrated.
And I have very little time to work on this feature myself

Best regards,
Bapt