FreeBSD Port: ports-mgmt/pkg

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 5 15:55:43 UTC 2016

On 2016/04/05 11:28, Zsolt Ero wrote:
> I don't know how those tools internally check the state of packages,
> but anyone who self manages a server usually writes a long line of
> "pkg install -y pkg1 pkg2 pkg3" in a script. I would think that 99% of
> server deployment scripts are structured like this.
>
> Those lines are used in the sense of "make sure that pkg1, pkg2 and
> pkg3 are all installed after this command". Now the new change totally
> breaks this behaviour.
>
> Also, it breaks convention with known package managers from OS X or
> the linux world, where ... install is usually used as "make sure that
> ... is installed".
>
> Even if FreeBSD believes that such a huge change is somehow justified
> at a minor point release, it should be clearly communicated with the
> community. I would strongly recommend going back to the pre-1.7 way of
> "make sure that ... is installed" behaviour.
>
> Since this is such a fresh change, I believe there will be many more
> user reports coming in from broken install scripts soon.

Just a 'me too':

==> sys-app-1: Error: Execution of '/usr/local/sbin/pkg install -qy
nagios-plugins' returned 70:
==> sys-app-1: Error:
/Stage[main]/Nrpe::Install/Package[nagios-plugins]/ensure: change from
absent to present failed: Execution of '/usr/local/sbin/pkg install -qy
nagios-plugins' returned 70:

Puppet gets all confused now when it tries to install something that's
already installed.  I'd much prefer it if the exit code in that
situation was 'success.'

	Cheers,

	Matthew