Interrupted 'pkg update' problem

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 2 07:41:52 UTC 2015

On 02/10/2015 08:59, Marko Turk wrote:
> root at projects:~ # pkg update -f
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> [projects.enterprise.my] Fetching meta.txz: 100%    944 B   0.9kB/s    00:01
> [projects.enterprise.my] Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%    5 MiB 691.6kB/s    00:08
> Processing entries:   9%^C  --- interrupted while processing
> root at projects:~ # pkg install cmus
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
> All repositories are up-to-date.
> pkg: No packages available to install matching 'cmus' have been found in the repositories
> root at projects:~ #

Yes.  Interrupting pkg while it is processing a new catalog results in
an incomplete catalogue.

Probably this should roll-back to a known good state, or at least mark
the catalogue as still out of date so the next time pkg(8) gets run it
tries to update the catalogue again.

Until that gets implemented, the work around is to run 'pkg update -f'
In fact, that's generally the first thing you should try if pkg misbehaves.

	Cheers,

	Matthew