pkg is not doing what I want.....

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Fri Mar 27 13:31:52 UTC 2015

On 27-3-2015 14:08, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> +--On 27 mars 2015 12:57:30 +0100 Willem Jan Withagen <wjw at digiware.nl>
> wrote:
> | So how do I remove perl, and maybe the runtime dependancies like p5-* and
> | stuff, without pkg trashing everything??
>
> It seems this is a very old installation, the perl package has been called
> perl5 for quite a long time now.

Now age is something in the eye of the beholder. :)
But yes, the jail has been up and running since quite some time. Looking
at some timestamps, its conception was August 2013

> Also, I'd say it wants to remove all that because you do have an old
> installation where mod_php5 was included in php5, and apache22 needs perl
> at runtime. And mod_php needs apache. So all of php needs perl.
> It's all documented in UPDATING, but to sum up:

upgrading perl does complain that 5.14 is (soon) no longer supported.
'mmm, wasn't aware of the fact that apache22 needed perl at runtime.
And probably you are right that it is in UPDATING, but I probably
overlooked it.

> pkg set -n perl:perl5
>
> should take care of at least not trying to remove everything.

Thanx for the hint and I'll give it a go.

--WjW