Upgrading postfixadmin leads to strange upgrades

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 28 13:01:04 UTC 2015

On 2015/04/28 13:34, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> This output sort of scared me away from doing the upgrade this way....
>
> # pkg upgrade postfixadmin
> New packages to be INSTALLED:
>         php56-session: 5.6.8
>         php56: 5.6.8
>         perl5: 5.18.4_13
>         oniguruma4: 4.7.1_1
>         php56-xml: 5.6.8
>         php56-mbstring: 5.6.8
>         php56-xmlrpc: 5.6.8
>         php56-mysql: 5.6.8
>
> Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
>         postfixadmin: 2.3.5 -> 2.3.7_1
>         libxml2: 2.8.0_1 -> 2.9.2_2
>         pkgconf: 0.9.8 -> 0.9.10
>         php5-session: 5.4.13 -> 5.4.40
>         apache22: 2.2.25 -> 2.2.29_2
>         php5-xml: 5.4.13 -> 5.4.40
>         php5: 5.4.16 -> 5.4.40
>         pcre: 8.32 -> 8.35_2
>         php5-mbstring: 5.4.13 -> 5.4.40
>         php5-xmlrpc: 5.4.13 -> 5.4.40
>         php5-mysql: 5.4.13 -> 5.4.40
>
> Especialy where there is going to be a mix of php54 (which is what this
> server is running) and newly installed php56 things....
> And note that I end up with both 5.4 and 5.6 base installed?
>
> And for postfixadmin the requirements are "simple":
> - You are using Postfix 2.0 or higher.
> - You are using Apache 1.3.27 / Lighttpd 1.3.15 or higher.
> - You are using PHP 5.1.2 or higher.
> - You are using MySQL 3.23 or higher (5.x recommended) OR PostgreSQL 7.4
> (or higher)
>
> So I could expect things to be upgraded in the 5.4 tree, but getting 5.6
> as a bonus???

You're using the standard packages from the FreeBSD repo?  In which case
php-5.6 is now the default -- so those php56 packages come from the new
dependencies of postfixadmin.  Despite how it looks, you won't end up
with a mix of php-5.4 and php-5.6 as those two versions conflict with
each other.  Instead, if you pressed 'Y' at that point, you'ld download
a number of new packages and then get another round of the solver.  That
would either remove all the php-5.4 modules or get stuck trying to work
out how to handle some packages (other than what you wanted to
upgrade/install) depending on php-5.4 and some on php-5.6.

(You can try: 'pkg fetch -u' and then 'pkg upgrade' to get a clearer
idea of what pkg(8) would ultimately do.)

In general, just trying to upgrade one package when it is part of a
complex dependency tree, and especially when dependencies have switched
from one set of packages to another, is likely to run into difficulties.
 At the moment, pkg(8) gives best results if you just upgrade everything
to the latest available all at once.  Improved handling of piecemeal
updates is in the plans for pkg-1.6, but as we've only just released
pkg-1.5 you're going to have to wait some time for that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew