perl version woe

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Apr 16 17:02:07 UTC 2015

On 04/16/15 17:40, Victor Sudakov wrote:

>> > Yes, pretty much.
>> >
>> > You can run 'pkg upgrade' safely, as it will show you what packages it
>> > will install, remove or reinstall and ask you for confirmation before it
>> > does.  (Assuming you haven't overridden that behaviour in pkg.conf)
>> > Check what it tells you carefully, and just hit 'n' if you don't agree
>> > with it.

> That's exactly what I did. When I saw that it was going to INSTALL
> perl5 instead of UPDATE it, I refused to proceed and asked a question
> here.

Uh -- if you're switching perl versions from an old version of
perl-5.16, then pkg(8) sees you're changing to a different package,
because the pkgname has changed.  So pkg(8) isn't going to say
"Upgrading perl5.16-5.16.2 to perl5-5.18.4" -- it's going to say
"Installing perl5-5.18.4" and then on the second pass through the solver
it's going to realize that the two different perl ports conflict, so
it's then going to say "Deleting perl5.16-5.16.2" and "Installing
perl5-5.18.4"

However, all of the perl ports currently in the tree now use 'perl5' as
their package name, so pkg understands that perl5-5-5.18.4 can be
upgraded to perl5-5.20.2

	Cheers,

	Matthew