Use of pkg plugins breaks the build of /usr/ports software

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 9 13:27:45 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 01:59:00AM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 03:02:44PM -0400, John Wolfe wrote:
> > Having built a pkg-plugin based on the pkg-plugin-template at
> > https://github.com/freebsd/pkg-plugins and adding
> >
> > > PLUGINS [
> > >         "x-adminsync",
> > > ]
> >
> > the plugin is working as desired.    Good so far......
> >
> > I was caught off guard when later attempting to "make" something in
> > /usr/ports.  The builds fail miserably with multiple
> >
> > > pkg-static: Loading of plugin 'x-adminsync' failed: Service unavailable
> > > pkg-static: Plugins cannot be loaded
> > > make[1]: "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk" line 1206: warning:
> > > "/usr/local/sbin/pkg-static version -t 1.4.12 1.3.8" returned non-zero
> > > status
> >
> > I would not expect that a static binary be able to load and use a
> > relocatable object so I am surprised that it even tried to do so. Even
> > so, a failure should be expected and not terminate the pkg-static process.
> >
> > Is this a bug, works as designed?
> >
> Hum probably both, I need to rework pkg-static so that it is not entierly static
> but static for all but libc so that it allows plugins, Haven't done that work
> yet.
>
> What bothers me is that pkg-static should not even tried to load plugins so it
> should not return any failure, that is a bug, I'll try to see fix it.
>
> Btw I'm happy to see someone is actually using the plugin interface, I haven't
> spent time on it since 1.3 and happy to see that I haven't broken it :)
>
> I would like to hear more feedback about the usage of plugins, how good/bad it
> is, how we could improve it etc, this is the first time I'm coding a plugin
> interface I do not expect it so be good :)
>
> Best regards,
> Bapt

This is fixed in our git master, pkg 1.5.0 is to be release on April 14th so I
won't merge that to 1.4

if you are interesting in testing here the fix:
https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/commit/efd65a842f3d67b546ee6d95621c2a2ff1896c12

Regards,
Bapt