Installing bacula-server with PostgreSQL 9.2

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 11 06:14:29 UTC 2014

On 11/04/2014 00:22, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2014, Steven Schlansker wrote:
>
>>> The dependency on postgresql90 is "baked into" the compiled package, and
>>> it is not possible to use that package with a different version of
>>> postgresql. Apart from anything else, any binaries are linked against
>>> the specific ABI versions of shlibs provided by the postgresql client
>>> package. 'pkg set -o' is not an answer in this case,
>>
>> That?s very unfortunate!  I would expect a binary built against libpq 9.0
>> to work fine when linked with libpq 9.3, but can?t say that I know exactly
>> how good PostgreSQL is about binary compatibility.
>
> The PostgreSQL team is quite straight about it: there's no promises regarding
> binary compatibility when you're changing important (in PgSQL case, second
> number) version part; hence, whenever you're drifting from N.M to N.M+1 you're
> basically forced to to dump/resore or replication.  There were some exceptions,
> but usually you should be ready to set up new server and then migrate your
> database one way or another...

In fact, the Postgresql project has now declared that point releases
incrementing the minor (ie. second part) version number will not need a
dump/restore any more.  So long as you're using PostgreSQL 9.3 or above.

Using replication for upgrades means you have to use trigger based
replication ie. Slony -- that's the only replication style that allows
different versions either end.  Unless you're running at least 9.3,
where you can upgrade a streaming replication setup without having to
stop, upgrade both ends and restart.

Even so, this does not affect the library dependencies for the
postgresql binaries.  The requirement there is minimally that the
library ABI version should not change.   I don't know what their policy
is -- either forwards + backwards ABI compatibility, or (like the
FreeBSD project) forwards compatibility, so a program compiled on
FreeBSD 9.0 will work on 9.1, 9.2 etc. but one compiled on 9.2 will not
necessarily run on 9.0.  The pkg(8) system takes a conservative approach
and forces you to install exactly the same versions as used for
compilation.  The new solver in 1.3 may allow some lattitude in this,
but we don't have support for dependencies on ranges of version numbers
yet.  There's a GSoC proposal to implement that which we're waiting on a
decision about.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--