Installing bacula-server with PostgreSQL 9.2

Steven Schlansker stevenschlansker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 16:35:09 UTC 2014

On Apr 2, 2014, at 11:00 PM, Matthew Seaman <matthew at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 03/04/2014 02:11, Steven Schlansker wrote:
>> [steven at d0028:~]% sudo pkg install -f bacula-server
>> Updating repository catalogue
>> The following 2 packages will be installed:
>>
>>        Installing postgresql90-client: 9.0.17
>>        Installing bacula-server: 5.2.12_3
>>
>> The installation will require 11 MB more space
>>
>> Oh no!  I’m running postgresql92-client!
>
> The dependency on postgresql90 is "baked into" the compiled package, and
> it is not possible to use that package with a different version of
> postgresql. Apart from anything else, any binaries are linked against
> the specific ABI versions of shlibs provided by the postgresql client
> package. 'pkg set -o' is not an answer in this case,

That’s very unfortunate!  I would expect a binary built against libpq 9.0
to work fine when linked with libpq 9.3, but can’t say that I know exactly
how good PostgreSQL is about binary compatibility.

> If you want to use a different version of postgresql, then you're going
> to have to compile anything that links against the postgresql shlibs
> yourself (ie. that depends on postgresql90-client).

That would be okay if a little unfortunate, except the port seems broken in 10.0-R as well :(

make[3]: don't know how to make /usr/include/openssl/pq_compat.h. Stop

make[3]: stopped in /usr/ports/sysutils/bacula-server/work/bacula-5.2.12/src/cats
*** Error code 1
Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/sysutils/bacula-server