pkg idea

Alexander Yerenkow yerenkow at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 06:11:29 UTC 2013

2013/3/5 Jason Helfman <jgh at freebsd.org>

> Hello All,
>
> Today I have removed misc/instant-server from the ports collection, however
> this spawned an idea I have, however I do lack the coding to implement if
> seen as a good idea :)
>
> The direction for features, as I understand it, is to be able to request
> something in a port.
>
> USE_FEATURE= ws (webserver)
>
> So the port would install apache, per se.
>
> With this idea, why not provide metadata from the feature itself such as:
>
> PROVIDES_FEATURE= ws
>
> Then advertise the pkg tool the concept of installing features:
>
> pkg install feature <{web,dns,application,proxy,irc}> server.
>
> The user can then have a list of features to install. This can be presented
> in multiple ways. Possibly a list, or maybe even a "signed off
> on/officially supported" server features.
>
> Web Server -> Apache
> DB Server -> PostgreSQL
> DNS -> Bind
> Application -> Tomcat6
>
> Or something different...
>
> Any thoughts?

Actually, this is good idea, but as they told me - pretty complex and
non-trivial to make (part of dependencies).
I tried to make discussion earlier, but to no avail yet.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2012-July/076611.html
https://github.com/pkgng/pkgng/issues/100

But probably, this can begin with PROVIDES part, and evolve later into
"required" framework :)

> Thanks!
> -jgh
> --
> Jason Helfman          | FreeBSD Committer
> jgh at FreeBSD.org     | http://people.freebsd.org/~jgh  | The Power to Serve

Regards,
Alexander Yerenkow