Automatic dependency adding in 1.2.x ?

Pawel Pekala pawel at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 10 20:08:50 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 2013-12-10 20:15 +0100, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>That is desired and there is no way to disable this feature, this is
>done by introspecting the binaries to figure out the libraries they do
>need, DEBUG_LEVEL=1 should show you the dependencies automatically
>added.
>
>The point is then to totally disable the recursive dependencies we
>have now and in long term to not make any difference between lib
>dependencies and build dependencies.
>
>There is no magic behind that and that changes nothing for the
>developper, the dependencies are added because they are needed for
>example if glib brings icu and your program only uses glib the
>developper has no way to figure out that depending on glib option he
>may or may not add icu in the list of the dependencies.

I think you misunderstood me here, if dependency is pulled by direct
one recorded in Makefile that's ok and it should work that way. I'm
talking about other situation, with tinycdb today when I installed
www/cblog for testing purposes, it had already recorded
databases/tinycdb as dependency despite I didn't fixed BUILD,
LIB_DEPENDS - automatically and was not pulled in by any other deps for
sure.

What I wanted to (poorly) describe earlier - before 1.2.x update you
could ldd(1) all binaries in certain package and get list of needed
libraries to function. Then you could compare this list to what
recorded dependencies provide and missing libraries would point you to
not recorded, missing deps in the end. I wrote this script that done it:

https://github.com/ppekala/freebsd-ports-tools/blob/master/pkg-lib-check

It helped me to find some of those missing dependencies I'm trying to
whine about :)

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/181764
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/182163
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/182166 and so on.

My point is - now this ability is gone and it sucks from developer
perspective, makes finding this type of bugs harder.

--
pozdrawiam / with regards
Paweł Pękala