pkg suggestions (was: Official FreeBSD Binary Packages now available for pkgng)

Matthias Andree mandree at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 31 19:20:16 UTC 2013

- Please Cc: me on replies, I am not subscribed to pkg at . -

Am 31.10.2013 03:10, schrieb Bryan Drewery:

> To use binary packages:
>
> 1. Ensure your pkg(8) is up-to-date. 'pkg -v' should say at least
>    1.1.4_8. If it does not, first upgrade from ports.

Perhaps we might want to add more SRV, or TXT, DNS records to state the
minimum required versions, and/or reasons for deprecating older versions.

Then we could have pkg 1.2 or newer check if it deems itself "new
enough" for binary stuff, so that we have a quick path for a
deprecation, just in case something goes seriously wrong.