VIMAGE + PF crashes - possible solutions

Martin Matuska mm at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 16 07:16:45 UTC 2013

Hi, I have encountered the same mtag panic Craig had with VIMAGE + PF
and have reported this in a PR 182964:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/182964

Here are two possible solutions I would like to discuss, both make the
panic go away:

1.) de-virtualize the variable as Marco suggested, this solution is a
more intrusive change to pf.c
http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/pf_mtag.patch

2.) add vnet context to struct m_tag, this is less intrusive to pf.c and
the uma zone remains virtualized:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/pf_mtag.2.patch

Which of the approaches should we take or is this to be solved in a
completely different way?

Anyway, after patching I have fired another panic, this time caused by
missing vnet context in the pf overload task queue.
I have discussed a solution for this one with Gleb and he committed it
in r256587:
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=256587

With both patches applied my VIMAGE + PF system runs stable.

Thanks,
mm