pf deadly slow

Daniel Ballenger lpmusix at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 22:20:50 UTC 2013

For what it's worth I'm running Freebsd 9.2-RELEASE on top of proxmox with
the virtio network driver and don't have this issue (easily pushes over
100Mbps, doing over 60Mbps at the moment):

vtnet0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
1500

options=c07bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,LRO,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>

pf.conf:
set limit states 50000

set limit src-nodes 50000

set skip on vtnet2

pass in quick on vtnet0 modulate state

pass out quick on vtnet0 modulate state

pass in quick on vtnet1 modulate state

pass out quick on vtnet1 modulate state

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Adam McDougall <mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu> wrote:

> On 10/04/13 11:28, Stephane D'Alu wrote:
> > On 10/04/13 16:48, sven falempin wrote:
> >> configure ALTQ (maybe the absence of configurating is not nicely
> working),
> >> i think freebsd has virtio support ,
> >
> > Yes, since 9.2 virtio drivers are included in base distribution
> >

> >> i am interested in the result :-)
> >
> > I switched from virtio to 82545EM (with em driver), and performance are
> > back to normal.
> >
> > Look like a bug / bad interraction between virtio and pf.
> > (I don't know if VirtualBox as also a part in it)
> >
> >> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Stephane D'Alu
> >> <Stephane.DAlu at insa-lyon.fr <mailto:Stephane.DAlu at insa-lyon.fr>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     I'm running FreeBSD 9.2 inside VirtualBox with virtio for the nework
> >>     card. pf is compiled with ALTQ support.
> >>
> >>     My pf.conf file is as follow, which do nearly nothing:
> >>      set skip on lo0
> >>      set skip on vnet0
> >>
> >>     If pf is enabled, bandwith drop by a 1000 factor!
> >>     From 10Mb/s to 4Kb/s
> >>
> >>     Any idea, what's going on?
>
> If vnet0 has TSO enabled, can you try disabling it?  Possibly with all
> other optimizations too.  Example: ifconfig vnet0 -tso

Daniel Ballenger
http://denetron.com
Sr. Systems Engineer - Denetron LLC