PF bugs

Maxim Khitrov max at mxcrypt.com
Sat Jun 22 03:24:31 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Stan Gammons <s_gammons at charter.net> wrote:
> I see there are several PF bugs and wondered if it's because PF isn't
> maintained on FreeBSD? Perhaps that's the case given the version
> differences versus PF on OpenBSD.  If not, is Ipfilter the "preferred"
> firewall on FreeBSD?  Or is IPFW?   I like PF, but reporting utilities
> for it, compared to ipfilter and even iptables on Linux, leave a bit to
> be desired.
>

> Stan

For what it's worth, I've been gradually migrating the few firewalls
that I maintain to OpenBSD. FreeBSD pf is fine, and it's what I use
for protecting individual servers, but I find that the new syntax,
which was introduced after OpenBSD 4.5, produces rulesets that are
more compact and easier to maintain when it comes to routing traffic
between networks. The new priority queuing (set prio) is much simpler
than ALTQ (and should perform better, though I haven't tested this).
I'm also looking forward to the work that's being done to free HFSC
from ALTQ and make it understandable and usable by mere mortals.

PF is still my choice on FreeBSD and I've never had any issues with
the tools (pfctl and pftop primarily), but OpenBSD's version is more
actively maintained and improved. There have been plenty of
discussions about porting a more recent version of pf to FreeBSD
(search the archives) and it doesn't look like that will happen any
time soon. If you'd like to understand the differences between the
two, below are a few presentations on the topic:

Faster Packets - Performance Tuning in the OpenBSD network stack and pf
http://quigon.bsws.de/papers/2009/eurobsdcon-faster_packets/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqG67o4bYgY

10 years of pf
http://quigon.bsws.de/papers/2011/pf10yrs/