pfctl -s rules

Fleuriot Damien ml at my.gd
Fri Nov 30 13:20:40 UTC 2012

It likely tries to apply rules on an interface that doesn't exist yet (for example openvpn's tun).

There's also the chance your rules contain a fully qualified domain name, say example.com
PF tries to load its rules, DNS resolution is not up yet, FQDN fails to resolve to anything meaningful, rules fail to laod.

Review your rules for any non-physical interfaces (tun, gif) and domain names.