svn commit: r223637 - in head: . contrib/pf/authpf contrib/pf/ftp-proxy contrib/pf/man contrib/pf/pfctl contrib/pf/pflogd sbin/pflogd sys/conf sys/contrib/altq/altq sys/contrib/pf/net sys/modules s...

Florian Smeets flo at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 9 16:08:48 UTC 2011

On 19.08.11 11:45, Florian Smeets wrote:
> On 19.08.2011 01:34, Pierre Lamy wrote:
>> I just found how to resolve the problem (1 minute ago) as I was also
>> having the same issue. If you compile pf into the kernel, state removals
>> are NOT performed at all. pftop will show you garbage null entries.
>> Flushing current states works for real states, but the malloc is never
>> cleared for the garbage entries. Eventually you will run out of memory
>> (max state entries too high), or be unable to add any more states. A
>> reboot is the only way to clear it.
>>
>> I recompiled as a module and not in the kernel, it "just works" without
>> any special extra steps.
>>

> I can confirm (using the same kernel sources as before) that using the
> modules fixed the problem for me too.

Hi,

does anybody have an idea what could cause this? I think this is
something that should be fixed before the release, as this can cause
quite some pain for people who compile pf into the kernel.

I tried to track this down, but i failed.

Should file a PR to track this?

Thanks,
Florian