kern/114095: [carp] carp+pf delay with high state limit

Ermal Luçi eri at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 17 18:47:33 UTC 2011

2011/10/17 Gleb Smirnoff <glebius at freebsd.org>:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 02:18:38PM +0200, Ermal Lu?i wrote:
> E> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:20 PM,  <glebius at freebsd.org> wrote:
> E> > Synopsis: [carp] carp+pf delay with high state limit
> E> >
> E> > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> E> > State-Changed-By: glebius
> E> > State-Changed-When: Sat Oct 15 14:20:00 UTC 2011
> E> > State-Changed-Why:
> E> > Not a bug. This is a feature. pfsync(4) suppresses carp(4)
> E> > preemption until new recently booted node downloads full
> E> > table of pf(4) states from its peer.
> E>
> E> This is not true on FreeBSD.
> E> The issue might be from other reasons.
>
> This is a surprise for me that this feature had been removed!
>
> It used to be in stable/6:
>
> http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/ident?v=FREEBSD60;i=carp_suppress_preempt
>
> And I always treated that variable in CARP as shared with pf. Why did
> they removed this feature from pfsync?

OpenBSD has it but FreeBSD is SMP capable and global vars without
synchronization do not work well.
To support that you have to add cross-dependencies and synchronization
between the two.

Not only synchronization though even some housekeeping around....
I will probably give a look at this again after 9.0.

--
Ermal