kern/114095: [carp] carp+pf delay with high state limit

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 17 13:20:07 UTC 2011

The following reply was made to PR kern/114095; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gleb Smirnoff <glebius at FreeBSD.org>
To: Ermal Lu?i <eri at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: nerijus.ambrazas at ktu.lt, freebsd-pf at FreeBSD.org, bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: kern/114095: [carp] carp+pf delay with high state limit
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:17:42 +0400

 On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 02:18:38PM +0200, Ermal Lu?i wrote:
 E> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:20 PM,  <glebius at freebsd.org> wrote:
 E> > Synopsis: [carp] carp+pf delay with high state limit
 E> >
 E> > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
 E> > State-Changed-By: glebius
 E> > State-Changed-When: Sat Oct 15 14:20:00 UTC 2011
 E> > State-Changed-Why:
 E> > Not a bug. This is a feature. pfsync(4) suppresses carp(4)
 E> > preemption until new recently booted node downloads full
 E> > table of pf(4) states from its peer.
 E>
 E> This is not true on FreeBSD.
 E> The issue might be from other reasons.

 This is a surprise for me that this feature had been removed!

 It used to be in stable/6:

 http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/ident?v=FREEBSD60;i=carp_suppress_preempt

 And I always treated that variable in CARP as shared with pf. Why did
 they removed this feature from pfsync?

 P.S. Since PR is about 6.2-RELEASE, then I have closed it correctly.

 --
 Totus tuus, Glebius.