Reboot after start pf on ALIX board

Espartano espartano.mail at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 20:21:05 UTC 2011

> Well, you want to try things in this order:
>

> 1/ rebuild a kernel without VIMAGE and try again, while you're at it
> enable debug options like the KDTRACE hooks and such.
>
> makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug
> symbols
> options         KDB                     # Kernel debugger related code
> options         KDTRACE_FRAME           # Ensure frames are compiled in
> options         KDTRACE_HOOKS           # Kernel DTrace hooks

Ok I re-builded my NanoBSD image without options VIMAGE and the system
now is very stable, when pf is activated the system doesn't reboot.

> 2/ enable kernel crash dumps, reproduce problem, obtain a dump for analysis.

I have been tried to get kernel file dump since 2 days ago to send it
you but when I try to compile the new kernel, with options vimage and
the others options that you had been mentioned,  KDB KDTRACE_FRAME and
KDTRACE_HOOKS, I get this error in the build kernel log file:

/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/ZROUTER: unknown option "KDTRACE_FRAME"

Searching a little into FreeBSD handbook I found this:

######### HANDBOOK NOTE #########
Note: Users of the AMD64 architecture will want to add the following
line to their kernel configuration file:

    options         KDTRACE_FRAME

    This option provides support for the FBT feature. DTrace will work
without this option; however, there will be limited support for
function boundary tracing.
######### END HANDBOOK NOTE #########

However the alix board processor is not AMD64 based, it is a x86
processor based, 32 bits, Now my question is: is enough good for you
only have the next options enabled:

makeoptions     DEBUG=-g
options         KDB                     # Kernel debugger related code
options         KDB_TRACE               # Print a stack trace for a panic
options         KDTRACE_HOOKS           # Kernel DTrace hooks
options         DDB_CTF

Thanks a lot.