PF from OpenBSD 4.5 available as patch for 8.1-STABLE?

Chris Buechler cbuechler at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 18:37:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Holger Rauch <Holger.Rauch at empic.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there such a patch? The reason why I ask for it is:
>
> I'm currently experiencing saturated network interfaces when using gigabit networking in conjunction with certain Linux driver<->NIC combos for Broadcom chips against the PF version shipped with FreeBSD 8.1 stable running on a HP ProLiant DL 180 G5 server.
>
> The problem only occurs with high throughputs (at least 30 MBytes/sec) caused by scp/rsync. Up to now, I've come accross this issue with
>
>  Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02) (tg3 driver in Linux)
>
> and
>
> Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
> (bnx2 driver in Linux; this is used in various HP ProLiant servers)
>
> But it doesn't occur with Intel chips and also not with this chip

You're trying to fix a NIC driver-related issue by messing with your
firewall, you're most likely looking in the wrong place. May have more
luck posting to freebsd-net. One thing to try is disabling hardware
checksum offloading (rxcsum, txcsum) to see if that makes any
difference, with some NICs it causes issues.