Base import proposal: relayd

Martin Matuska mm at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 27 11:56:56 UTC 2010

I would like to propose relayd(8) from OpenBSD for import to our base
system.
Relayd is closely tied to pf(4) and would be a great tool for networking
and firewalls.

The import is based on a CVS snapshot from OpenBSD as of Aug 13, 2009 (4.6).
That was just right before importing new pf changes that make it
incompatible with our current pf(4).
After our pf(4) gets upgraded we can move to a newer relayd(8).
It includes several backported patches from OpenBSD 4.7 and HEAD.
The carp and snmp functionality is disabled (for now) because of OpenBSD
specific code.
Required libevent is used statically from contrib/pf and gets built only
once as of usr.sbin/ftp-proxy.

A working (and more or less complete) patch against HEAD and 8-STABLE
can be downloaded from here:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/relayd/head-relayd.patch
http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/relayd/stable-8-relayd.patch

The patch is based on this snapshot:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/distfiles/relayd-4.6.20090813.tar.gz

And includes backported patches from my PR ports/147122 - it can be
tested as a port as well:

The port patches from Jun Kuriyama (kuriyama at FreeBSD.org) were used as a
starting point.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.