OpenBSD 4.7's pf is not backward compatible

George Davidovich freebsd at optimis.net
Thu May 20 04:40:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 02:36:47PM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> Now that OpenBSD 4.7 is out, I see that the pf has undergone a flag day.
>
> Are there people here actively working on incorporating this new release
> into FreeBSD?
>
> Also, how different is the pf code in FreeBSD from upstream?  Is it just
> a matter of a good three-way merge to get it to work?

Can't answer your questions directly, but the following may be
informative:

>From the fine Handbook
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls-pf.html

	Warning: When browsing the PF FAQ, please keep in mind that
	different versions of FreeBSD can contain different versions of PF.
	Currently, FreeBSD 7.X and later are using the same version of PF as
	OpenBSD 4.1.

The "PF FAQ" being referred to is that of OpenBSD.

--
George