why ALTQ must be supported by interface drivers?

Spenst, Aleksej Aleksej.Spenst at harman.com
Wed Dec 22 12:10:46 UTC 2010

Hi All,

at what network level is ALTQ (QoS) implemented? At the IP level or at the driver level?

I would think that all queuing functionality is probabliy working at the IP level and should not depend on underlying interfaces. Is that correct? If this is true, I don't understand why ALTQ must be supported by interface drivers? If I understand it correctly: (1) the driver has to support ALTQ. (2) the driver has to be compiled as ALTQ-aware with some special flags.

Thanks,
Aleksej.