Questions about multicast forwarding

Artyom Viklenko artem at aws-net.org.ua
Mon Dec 20 07:07:04 UTC 2010

20.12.2010 07:47, dave jones пишет:
> Hi Artyom,
>
> I tried to use igmpproxy with no lock. "netstat -g" shows:
> IPv4 Virtual Interface Table
>   Vif   Thresh   Local-Address  Remote-Address   Pkts-In   Pkts-Out
>    0         1   172.16.112.2                          0          0
>    1         1   172.16.113.8                          0          0
>    2         1   172.16.112.2                          0          0
>
> Ipv4 Multicast Forwarding Table is empty
>

> In /usr/local/etc/igmpporxy:
>
> quickleave
> phyint re0 upstream ratelimit 0 threashold 1
> phyint re1 downstream ratelimit 0 threshold 1

Hi, Dave!

Actually, my config like yours except one additional thing 'altnet':

quickleave
phyint fxp0 upstream ratelimit 0 threshold 1 altnet m.m.m.m/32
phyint fxp1 downstream ratelimit 0 threshold 1

m.m.m.m/32 is the IP address of the multicast streams source
in our network sveral hops away, but in you case it is on the
same subnet as upstream interface.

But I have only two Vif-s after igmpproxy started:

IPv4 Virtual Interface Table
  Vif   Thresh   Local-Address   Remote-Address    Pkts-In   Pkts-Out
   0         1   x.x.x.y                                 0          0
   1         1   x.x.x.z                                 0          0

And then I start to watch TV on my notebook, connected to network on
fxp1 interface, multicast flow appears on interfaces and I see:

IPv4 Virtual Interface Table
  Vif   Thresh   Local-Address   Remote-Address    Pkts-In   Pkts-Out
   0         1   x.x.x.y                            391353          0
   1         1   x.x.x.z                                 0     391353

IPv4 Multicast Forwarding Table
  Origin          Group             Packets In-Vif  Out-Vifs:Ttls
  m.m.m.m         MMM.MMM.2.2         17641    0    1:1

Also, check rules in your firewall to enable igmp traffic and multicast
streams.

One additional thing to check is a switches through which you connect
your equipment. If it's an unmanaged switch, it should unconditionally
pass group traffic. If it is some kind of managed or "smart" switch,
you have to check is igmp snooping enabled and configured on it and
multicast forwarding works.

Hope this helps!

artem at viklenko.net   | JID: artem at jabber.aws-net.org.ua
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve   -  http://www.freebsd.org