ping sendto: operation not permitted.

Greg Hennessy Greg.Hennessy at nviz.net
Fri Apr 16 12:33:23 UTC 2010

Running out of state table entries ?

From: owner-freebsd-pf at freebsd.org [owner-freebsd-pf at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Gaurav Ghimire [gaurav at subisu.net.np]
Sent: 16 April 2010 12:50
To: freebsd-pf at freebsd.org
Subject: ping sendto: operation not permitted.

Dear all,

I am lately having problems with my firewall. There had not been any
changes to the configuration and it had been working very fine. Out of
nowhere I believe that pf is now acting abnormal and is blocking
outgoing packets at random. It doesn't occur regular but I am getting
the ping sendto: operation not permitted error and also its delaying udp
queries to by dns servers that it generally protects. If I disable pf
using 'pfctl -d' things go to normal and there isn't any issue. I also
see connection  breaks when the pf itself tries to contact my ldap
server for information. Disabling pf makes everything go back to normal.
Any hint as where I should be looking would be highly appreciated. I
have been pulling my hairs literally lately.

Regards,

--
Gaurav