Panic with VIMAGE and pf

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Sun Apr 11 12:45:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010, Jille Timmermans wrote:

Hi,

> I was trying to enable VIMAGE (for use with jails) but stumbled upon the
> following panic:

> fault virtual address: 0x28
> current proceess = 38 (pfctl)
>
> db> bt
> pfil_head_get() at +0x41
> pfioctl() at +0x11f2
> devfs_ioctl_f() at +0x77
> kern_ioctl() at +0xf6
> ioctl() at +0xf0
> syscall() +0x137
>
> I can easily reproduce this in single user mode using:
> # kldload pf
> # pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf
>
> I disabled VIMAGE and the panic didn't occur anymore.
>
> I'm running amd64 stable/8; r206458. (I also tried this 3 weeks ago; but
> had the same problem)
>
> I'm not able to get a dump; the memory dump-thing stalls after printing
> the first mark.

This is a FAQ.  pf hasn't been virtulaized (in-tree) yet.  See
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2010-February/000449.html
for how far it is and how to get it.

That might, btw., be the better list to ask VIMAGE questions;)

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb         It will not break if you know what you are doing.