freebsd 7.1 pf route-to connection stall

Tom Uffner tom at uffner.com
Fri Feb 27 13:32:34 PST 2009

Link wrote:
> Tom Uffner wrote:

>> i'm having trouble making sense of that rule. could you explain (or maybe
>> draw a simple diagram) what you are trying to accomplish with it?

> Seems that i found problem. And I`m going to post it to freebsd bugs.

you're probably better of staying on freebsd-pf

> My full configuration is:
>
> if_bce0="bce0"
> if_bce0_gw="172.20.51.1"
> if_bce1="bce1"
>
> scrub in all
>
> pass out on $if_bce1 route-to ($if_bce0 $if_bce0_gw) from $if_bce0 to
> any no state flags any
>
> The sense is: when packet comes in on bce0 server should ignore default
> route ( set on bce1 ) and reply via bce0 using gateway if_bce0_gw

just guessing (based on very incomplete info) you might want
"pass in on $if_bce0 route-to ($if_bce0 $if_bce0_gw) to any"

but it seems like there should be a simpler way to do that.

can you give us a little more info about your net topology? for example,
what IP addresses, if any, are bound to the interfaces? what network(s)
are directly attached? location(s)/address(es) of your router(s)? do you have
any static routes defined?

> Now i have about 15 hosts with freebsd 7.1
> Part of them are p2 and part of them p3
> This problem appears only in p3

not sure why the chipset would make a difference. maybe that is a bug.

tom