a "strange" question about OSs

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Mon Feb 23 09:23:06 PST 2009

Hello Valentin,

first off - this is the completely wrong mailing list!  Please refrain from
further requests to it in relation to this or similar request.  To your
question ...

On Monday 23 February 2009 09:06:12 Valentin Bud wrote:
>  The following question may sound very ackward but was OS is suitable from
> the following list
> to replace FBSD:
>
>    - OpenSUSE 10.3
>    - Debian 4.0
>    - CentOS 5

CentOS seems to be the only one of these to be at least somewhat current -
both SuSE and Debian have released newer *major* versions meanwhile.  CentOS
is at 5.2, which only has kernel-2.6.18 however.

> The company i work for wants to change the provider because of the
> economical crisis to
> save some money. The actual provider gave us the chance to install our OS
> but the one
> they chose as a replacement doesn't give any other choice besides the above
> mentioned.

I personally would stay clear of any provider that is offering only the above
choice.  IMHO, it rules them out as rather unprofessional.

> I work for 2 years in IT and FBSD is the only OS i have ever used in
> production. I like it and
> learned it a little bit. It is going to be a steep learning curve with the
> new OS which I'm not afraid
> of but i would like to chose a suitable OS and one that has some
> similarities with FBSD.

If you are concerned with firewall setup (as this is a mailing list pertaining
to a *BSD specific firewall software: PF) you won't find a suitable
replacement in the linux world.  Linux uses iptables to manage the packet
filter which is completely different from pf in design and setup and you will
probably have to start from scratch to learn how to use it.

OTOH, you might find the following links helpful:
http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2008-01-29-depenguinator-2.0.html
http://www.daemonology.net/depenguinator/

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org