Using ALTQ without PF in FreeBSD

Jille Timmermans jille at quis.cx
Mon May 12 09:24:51 UTC 2008

Hello,

Diego Salvador wrote:
> To Whom It May Concerned:
>
> Hi! Is it possible to use ALTQ in FreeBSD without PF?
I know it is possibly to use ALTQ with IPFW (another firewall),
> Because what I want to achieve is to build a QoS system/machine in a Diffserv or Intserv network
> without firewall. It seems like ALTQ is tightly coupled with PF.
But not whether you can use it entirely without any firewall.
> I have read this
> http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/altq.html that ALTQ integration in FreeBSD
> is in PF-Mode not in COMPAT Mode? Can someone elaborate the difference
> between these types of modes? The info describes FreeBSD-5, Is it still
> affecting FreeBSD-6.2/6.3 and FreeBSD-7.0 releases? In NetBSD, ALTQ
> can be used without PF or other means of firewall.

Can't you enable PF, add some firewall rules that passes on all data,
and apply the altq's ?
afaik pf should not screw up your packets (if you leave all other stuff
behind)

-- Jille