Suggestions on how to do Layer 2 load balacing with PF

Jason DiCioccio jd at ods.org
Wed Jul 9 10:43:05 UTC 2008

Hey Mark,

Mark Pagulayan wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I was just wondering if anyone of you have done layer 2 load balancing with PF.
>
> We tried to load balance traffic between two bridge firewall through OSPF, by putting equal weights on the router ports. But the problem we encountered is that when packet exits FW1 ( a state is created) it returns to FW2, the packet gets drop because the state created on FW1 has not yet synced on FW2.

The first thing that comes to my mind is changing the behavior on the
router.  Many routers allow you to choose how they forward in a
situation with equal-cost paths.  See below for the Juniper version of this.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos70/swconfig70-policy/html/policy-actions-config11.html

Regards,
-JD-