Suggestions on how to do Layer 2 load balacing with PF

Mark Pagulayan m.pagulayan at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jul 9 07:15:12 UTC 2008

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone of you have done layer 2 load balancing with PF.

We tried to load balance traffic between two bridge firewall through OSPF, by putting equal weights on the router ports. But the problem we encountered is that when packet exits FW1 ( a state is created) it returns to FW2, the packet gets drop because the state created on FW1 has not yet synced on FW2.

We did this experiment because the firewall starts to drop packets when packet rates reach 30Kp/s hoping that we load balance it, we can distribute traffic to the firewalls. And just for information where a using a Gig interface (em)

I wanted to ask if anyone of you have done load balancing  on layer2 and how they have done it.

Your help guys would be mostly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Mark