How does /dev/pf get created?

Gavin Spomer spomerg at cwu.EDU
Thu Jan 24 17:04:34 PST 2008

I have followed the instructions in the FreeBSD Handbook for implementing pf, but when I run pfctl -e, I get:

   pfctl: /dev/pf: No such file or directory".

I do an ls of /dev and sure enough, there's no pf device. I have googled for a couple of days (!) and my fingers are about to fall off and am losing my sanity. What do I have to do to get pf going?

Here is what I HAVE done:

1. I built a custom kernel following the instructions in the FreeBSD Handbook. Specifically for pf I added:
   device pf
   device pflog
   device pfsync

2. I added the following to /etc/rc.conf:
   pf_enable="YES"
   pf_rules="/etc/pf.conf"
   pf_flags=""
   pflog_logfile="/var/log/pflog"

3. I rebooted and tried pfctl -e again. No dice. Grrrrr.

I am using 6.2-RELEASE. What's a guy gotta do to get a firewall around here? ;)

Gavin Spomer
Systems Programmer
Brooks Library
Central Washington Univerisity