pf how-to: Single public IP --> many private NAT'd HTTPS servers

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Mon Jan 21 08:32:15 PST 2008

Hello,

I've googled, read pf.conf(5) and the pf tutorial/faq, and experimented,
but a working configuration eludes me.

Here's my environment:

	Firewall:
		FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE pf
		1 public (routable) IP address

	HTTPS:
		FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE
		Listening on 3 private (RFC-1918) IPs
		Apache22 w/SSL and name-based virtual hosts

I would like to redirect incoming https traffic to a specific https
server.  So far, I've experimented with various rdr options pf.conf.
I've even tried to create an address pool, but to no avail.

This is a rather high-level explanation and I didn't want to clutter
this email with pf/DNS/apache syntax that is not working.

I'm open to other solutions if pf is not capable of doing the job.  I
have an idea of how apache and mod_rewrite "might" get me there but
wanted to try pf first.

--
Regards,
Doug