Understanding Load Balancing with DNS+PF+CARP

Rodrique Heron swygue at rodhouse.org
Tue Aug 5 14:14:35 UTC 2008

I'm a running a Apache reverse proxy on PF+CARP, one node as master the
other backup. I want a active/active setup, but since I don't have a
hardware load balancer I'm banking on DNS. I would like to understand what
happens when a host connects to the cluster for the first time after the
first DNS query.

So a user request www.website.com, DNS round-robin points the user to node1,
what happens when a the user makes another request ? Is there another DNS
lookup ? Will the user the sent back to node1 ? Does it make a difference if
the server is hosting static content or an application ?

Thanks