Best way to decrease DDoS with pf.

Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri almarrie at gmail.com
Fri May 18 09:54:20 PDT 2007

On 5/18/07, Kian Mohageri <kian.mohageri at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/18/07, Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri <almarrie at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thank you for the tip.
> >
> > Here what I'm using which fixed the issue.
> >
> > pass in on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $ext_if port $tcp_services
> > flags S/SA synproxy state
> > pass in on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $ext_if port $tcp_services \
> >         flags S/SA keep state \
> >         (max-src-conn 30, max-src-conn-rate 30/3, \
> >          overload <bruteforce> flush global)
> > pass out proto tcp to any keep state
> >
> > Comments?
>
> The first rule won't match anything (same criteria as second rule, and
> last match wins with pf).  On the third rule, use 'flags S/SA' unless
> you have a good reason not to.
>
> Kian

I thought first rule will defeat syn flood.

 Is the second rule going to do the same job as first rule and will
prevent syn flood?

As for the third rule syntax, Should I make it like this?

"pass out proto tcp to any flags S/SA keep state" and shall I add the
same for udp?

"pass out proto udp to any flags S/SA keep state" ?

--
Regards,

-Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri
Arab Portal