ftp, pf, passive ftp and fetch

Dave dmehler26 at woh.rr.com
Fri May 18 00:52:57 UTC 2007

Hi,
    I'm trying to get ftp working from behind a pf firewall. I'm using pftpx
on FreeBSD 6.2 for this. I believe i have passive working, one of my windows
boxes goes passive and dies on active. I've got three questions. First,
portupgrade uses fetch for retrieval correct, if so i want it to use the -p
(passive option) by default whenever it tries an ftp url. Second, ncftp i'd
like to specify that it should use passive mode connections by default as
well. Last, is active or passive ftp better in terms of security strictly
from a firewall perspective, i know the protocol isn't secure? If active ftp
is better than passive does anyone have a ruleset with it? I'm using a block
by default ruleset.
Thanks.
Dave.