PF and GeoIP to update country table?

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Wed May 9 12:20:02 UTC 2007

On 12/23/-58 20:59, Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri wrote:
> Another question, how about the update per month? do I need to kill pf
> and run it again? or a crontab would do the trick and update the IPs?

Abdullah,

unfortunately I'm unable to imagine if it's nice or really, really bad
idea to block certain countries. It sounds like a chinese wall. If the
machine in question is a web server, it might be a hardly bad idea and
would lead into another dimension of separating the world.

Anyway, if you want to replace the in-memory table with a fresh one
from disk, pfctl is your friend. Have a look at pfctl(8), especially
the parameters '-t' and '-T'. Doing a `pfctl -t mychinesewall -T
replace -f /tmp/dolistalltheworld.txt' would be enough.

HTH

Volker