problem with linux kernel 2.16.18.2 and packet filter

Jon Simola jsimola at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 19:26:22 UTC 2007

On 3/20/07, WAYNE KING <king.812 at osu.edu> wrote:
> Hello list, My subnet at Ohio State is running a BSD firewall with packet filter.
> It works great, but I just encountered a weird problem with the linux 2.16.18.2
> kernel and packet filter.

> Any quick insights just for my own education?

A quick search with Google turned up a great explanation by Daniel Hartmeier:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2006/07/12/0000.html

As well as some evidence that this isn't a new problem:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2004-09/0703.html

I would have to agree with Max's suggestion to check for proper "flags
S/SA" on the rules. OpenBSD recently made that the default for this
reason.

--
Jon