Trying to setup DSR load balancing with pf route-to

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Wed Mar 7 11:09:47 UTC 2007

Ed Schouten wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the same problem as well. The route-to doesn't seem to be able to
> emit packets at all. I have a setup like this:
>
> 	-----+----------+----- <- 10.0.0.0/24 - outside
> 	     |          |
> 	+----+---+  +---+----+
> 	| PF box |  | Router |
> 	+--------+  +---+----+
> 	----------------+----- <- 192.168.0.0/24 - inside
>
> I'm able to reproduce this issue with this really simple pf.conf:
>
> | pass in log on xl0 route-to (xl0 10.0.0.7) to 192.168.0.0/24
>
> When packets from the outside to 192.168.0.0/24 arrive at the PF box,
> the above rule will match the packets. `tcpdump -i pflog0 -n -e' will
> match the packets, but they are not routed to the router. They just get
> trashed. dup-to will also only route the packet to the default route.
> This means that routing packets to a specific address is broken right
> now.
>
> Yours,

Shouldn't the diagram look like this - based on your wording. OR,
perhaps what you really mean is that the PF box and router ought to be
reversed?

 	----------------+----- <- 10.0.0.0/24 - outside

		    +---+----+
 	            | PF box |

 	            | Router |

 	----------------+----- <- 192.168.0.0/24 - inside

--
Best regards,
Chris

Nothing is ever so bad that it can't get worse.