CBQ borrow still broken?

Michal Varga varga at stonehenge.sk
Mon Aug 20 07:21:05 PDT 2007

Ok, need to reply to myself:
CBQ borrow does work, even though little strangely.

For the record, here is what happened. Maybe someday will someone find
this useful:

For the last two hours before I wrote my previous email, I was running
tens after tens of bandwidth tests, trying to fine-tune the queue
configuration to find out why 'borrow' refuses to take even a bit of
free bandwidth, but to no avail. After I got tired of executing every
possible load and queue combinations without any effect, I tried to
google out some solution. I stumbled upon a number of threads discussing
CBQ borrowing issues, with very similiar setups and symptoms as was this
one.

After I wrote my "me too" email and was about to tear down the whole
thing, I clicked for the last batch of tests on a nearby client and was
struck with the results, with borrow clearly visible working. This was
without any changes to the pf configuration or anything else.

After that, I'm no longer able to reproduce the problem, borrow works
pretty well with every *previously tried* combination I can remember and
I can't force it to break again, even with hard reboots and wicked
numbers.

The only explanation I have is that something went stuck previously when
I was building and tuning the whole pf setup and pf flushed it long
after, as there was about half an hour "cooldown" after my previous
email, before I get back to shut it down (and found that everything
already works perfectly). That's all I can guess as I really don't see
into pf internals.

So, if you run into similiar issues, try to reboot the pf machine a few
times just to be sure, it won't hurt anything.

m.

--
Michal Varga <varga at stonehenge.sk>
Stonehenge