strange "throttling" issue with pf on xDSL connection

Patrick Proniewski patpro at patpro.net
Wed Aug 1 15:42:21 UTC 2007

On 01 août 2007, at 15:37, Greg Hennessy wrote:

> You're possibly meeting an issue with tcp window scaling and
> keeping state
> on something other than Flags S/A.

While playing around with systat I've discovered that the transfer
rate can be as low as 20 KB/s and as high as 850 KB/s on a single
download from http://test-debit.free.fr, but the mean value will
always be around 120-150 KB/s when pf is active. From one sample to
another (every second), the transfer rate is very erratic.
If I disable pf on ext_if (set skip on $ext_if), the transfer rate
reaches quickly 850 KB/s and is almost stable. It decreases to
400-450 KB/s for 1 or 2 seconds, 3 or 4 times per minute.

regards,
patpro