preventing ssh brute force attacks, swatch and users and table

Gergely CZUCZY phoemix at harmless.hu
Tue Apr 24 19:26:56 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 09:16:49PM +0300, Andrei Kolu wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 April 2007 21:00:41 Dave wrote:
> > Hello,
> >     I've got a machine running ssh and i'm trying to cut down on brute
> > force attacks on it. I'm running pf on a freebsd 6.2 box and have added in
> > swatch to try to curve these attacks. The problem is nothing is being added
> > to either the memory hackers table nor the ondisk copy of it. I know i'm
> > getting hits because i'm seeing entries in my auth.log like this:
> >
> > Apr 21 06:18:38 zeus sshd[10609]: Did not receive identification string
> > from 125.33.163.188
I've used a pf ruleset to block too intensive connect attempts to
my sshd, as it was documented in the openbsd FAQ. I block IPs
permanently, and if someone was blocked due to too intensive
ssh-ing, then the IP will absolutely be blocked, globally.
I auto-save this table, and it's an append-only one.

This is a really easy policy, works great.

Bye,

Gergely Czuczy
mailto: gergely.czuczy at harmless.hu

--
Weenies test. Geniuses solve problems that arise.