NEW IDEAS

Rajkumar S rajkumars at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 23:43:13 PDT 2006

On 9/8/06, Max Laier <max at love2party.net> wrote:

> The problem is, how do you classify your traffic for queueing?  i.e. where
> and how do you decide whether to put a given packet into queue A or B?

Is it possible to have a netgraph hook for pf also? Some thing like

queue in  on dc0 from 192.168.0.0/24 to 192.168.0.1

Where the packet will be passed to a netgraph node with full state
information about the TCP stream. If the packet is dropped in netgraph
then it's as good as a block, other wise it's a pass.

The idea is to have some sort of userspace processing for things like
blocking p2p. I can already take packets from ethernet interfaces, but
getting packets from pf has some advantages like:

Ability to select which packets I want to pass to userspace
Take advantage of tcp reassembly and state tracking of pf.

The state tracking is important because that can help in identifying
patters that span multiple packets in userspace easily. The pf
netgraph node can set tags as well as assign the packet to a
particular queue, for example slow down kazaa.

I am not sure how much of this is feasible or even desirable, but just
thinking out loud.

raj